Thursday 5 April 2012

Book Favourites: Fever series by Karen Marie Moning


In a perfect world, reviewers would be able to review every single book they read. But as most of you know, you can't. Sometimes it's because you simply don't have the time. Sometimes it's because you just can't find the inspiration. And sometimes the book you're reading is so awesome that you can't describe it without turning into a blubbering fangirl. Every week I will be highlighting one of such books in Book Favourites.

I'm going to kick this new feature off with one of my all-time favourites, the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. I managed to write a review for the first book in the series, Darkfever, but after that I just couldn't write any coherent thoughts down any more. One of the main reasons for that is that I flew through this series, immediately picking up the next after finishing.
Why this series is awesome:
  • It's set in Dublin. I love unusual settings, and this one in particular interested me. Even though I've been to England countless times I don't know anything about the Irish culture. After reading this series I really want to travel there and visit the places MacKayla visited too
  • Even though the main character Mac may start out annoying, she goes through dramatical change. Throughout the series she goes from pretty pink Barbie to kick-ass fae killer. I found her change very realistic and I liked how Mac notices that she's changing too
  • It has Fae. Not the pussy flying kind, but the mythological Irish kind. For those of you not acquainted with Irish folklore: fae are bad news. Even those from the Seelie (the "good" kind) court are not to be trusted - there are fae that kill you by making you laugh until you die
  • Barrons. He is the ultimate alpha male and while I'm usually more fan of the underdog, he is soooo swoon worthy. I fell in love with him in the first two books, was a little bit annoyed with him in the third, and loved him even more in the last two
  • PLOT TWISTS. I'm not going to spoil anything, but at the showdown there are some twists that I hadn't seen coming for miles. Massive props for Ms Moning for pulling those off
  • Barrons owns a book store. Did I mention that already?

I recommend this series if you like:
  • Urban fantasy
  • Alpha males
  • Irish faeries
  • Mystery
  • Lots of action
  • A kicking-ass heroine

10 comments:

Obsession with Books said...

This is such a great idea Celine & you have chosen my all time fave series first :-)

I'll definitely be checking back regularly to see more of your favorites..

Sharon @ Obsession with Books

Obsession with Books said...

This is such a great idea Celine & you have chosen my all time fave series first :-)

I'll definitely be checking back regularly to see more of your favorites..

Sharon @ Obsession with Books

Obsession with Books said...

This is such a great idea Celine & you have chosen my all time fave series first :-)

I'll definitely be checking back regularly to see more of your favorites..

Sharon @ Obsession with Books

Obsession with Books said...

This is such a great idea Celine & you have chosen my all time fave series first :-)

I'll definitely be checking back regularly to see more of your favorites..

Sharon @ Obsession with Books

Karen said...

I normally don't like fae books but everyone assures me these aren't your typical fae.

Celine said...

They are quite different from all the other fae books I've read so far, so if you like UF books in general I'd recommend you to give them a try (:

Jennifer said...

Hi Celine! *waves* I just found your blog and I'm glad I did. I absolutely adore the Fever series too. Mac is one of my favourite fictional characters, her development was so well done. And know what you mean about the plot twists. I started Dreamfever as soon as I finished Faefever because the ending was so jaw-droppingly shocking!

Celine said...

Hi Jennifer! *waves back* Ooh, I know right! Those cliff hangers.. Ms Moning is the absolute queen of cliff hangers. I'm so glad all of the books were already out when I started reading this series, it must have been hell for those who had to wait a year between each book. I'm glad you found my blog too & thanks for commenting ^^

JessS said...

I love this series too!! The absolute best bit has got to be that Barrons owns a bookstore. It takes him from super awesome, to every book lover's dream.

Celine said...

Oh yes, totally. And what kind of bookstore.. I would love to spend some time there

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: