Saturday 26 November 2011

Short Review: The Debutante's Dilemma by Elyse Mady

The Debutante's Dilemma by Elyse Mady
3 out of 5 stars

Novella
Published by Carina Press

Little romance novella set in Regency England. Debutante Miss Cecelia Hastings is being courted by two of the most eligible bachelors of the whole empire. Yet before she can make a choice between the two of them, she has to ask them something. Something of the utmost discretion.

Even though I generally dislike love-triangles, I got this novella for free, so I figured I'd give The Debutante's Dilemma a try. Because the choosing between the two men was actually the focus of the story, it felt less of a convenient "hey, let's make our heroine's love life a more exciting!" but a genuine plot. It fits the time period, where marriage is on the top of a girls mind.

Because this book is so short, there is not much time to have some more in-depth info about the characters, and I had a hard time to keep Cecelia's suitors apart. For me their character was pretty much interchangeable, not having seen them enough to remember their distinct personalities.

The resolution of the plot was rather rushed, just a mention afterwards. I myself didn't even get it at first, because there's just some hinting at, and no direct description. Ms Mady uses a lot of fancy words, which fits the book, but doesn't make it easier to read. As English is not my first language, I was glad my Kindle had a dictionary function, or I probably would have put this book down.

It's a historical M/F/M novella, available for a very decent price. If you're into this kind of books, you will probably like The Debutante's Dilemma.

Blurb

One woman in search of passion
Miss Cecilia Hastings has achieved what every young lady hopes for during her first London season…in duplicate! She’s caught the eye of not one but two of England’s most eligible bachelors. Both Jeremy Battersley, Earl of Henley, and Richard Huxley, Duke of Wexford are handsome, wealthy and kind, the epitome of proper gentlemen. But Cecelia doesn’t want proper, she wants passion. So she issues a challenge to her suitors: a kiss, so that she may choose between them.


Two men in love with the same woman
Friends since childhood, and compatriots on the battlefields of Spain, falling for the same woman has set Jeremy and Richard at odds, and risks destroying their friendship forever. But a surprising invitation to a late-night garden tryst soon sets them on a course that neither of them could have anticipated. And these gentlemen quickly discover that love can take many forms…

Other reviews you might be interested in

More links

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: