Thursday 30 September 2010

BR: Demon Thief

Demon Thief by Darren Shan
4 of 5 stars

Second part in the Demonata series, and to be bold, even better than the first. In Lord Loss the writing sometimes was very short, in little sentences. That didn't bother me at all, but in Demon Thief the writing is improved a great deal. The dialogue flows more, it reads away so easily.

In this part our narrator is Kernel Fleck (Darren has an interesting choice of names!), a bold boy that can see shards of light floating in the air. There is nothing much to say about the plot without giving anything away, but it comes down to this: by some gross horrible accident he ends up in the universe of the Demonata.

The story in this book is set before Lord Loss, so we meet a younger Dervish, which I thoroughly enjoyed. We get to meet our favorite monsters Vein and Artery again, and pay a nice visit to good old Lord Loss. In this book it struck me that Lord Loss isn't actually that bad for a demon master. I wonder if that was the intention. I mean, he is like a walking corpse and has no heart, but because of that he isn't hate bearing either. Strange thought.

Darren Shan is a genius. For a young writer he has accomplished so much. In some way I like his Demonata series better than his Cirque du Freak series. The universe he creates is brilliant, the gloomy feel his books leave behind is amazing, and I truly adore his characters. I mean, they all have such a good heart, and have to go through such hardship you can't but feel for them. I want them to finally get their happy ending. A bitter sweet kind of happy ending. Like one that makes you cry but deep down you know that this was how it supposed to turn out.

Can't wait to see what new horrifying adventures Darren Shan will torture us (in a very good way) with next!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: